Friday, November 3, 2023

Thankfulnessapalooza 2023 - Part One (of Three)

Is it really that time again? It seems like we just did this. Probably only because we *DID* just do this. There are THREE posts separating last year's That Thankfulness Thing (click on that for links to all the other years' posts!) from tonight's post. Shame on me. The 80,434-word (and counting) work in progress from this summer can excuse some of that lack of bloginess, but clearly not all of it. 

It started in 2012, in the Great Before. There was a social media thing where people were posting something for which they were thankful - every damn day throughout November - and I was like NOPE, let's do it all at once. I've since learned that breaking it up into three posts is more humane to all 4 (5?) of you readers, and I'm nothing if not humane, so let's do this. In the interest of full disclosure, I must admit that parts two and three of this year's gratitude fest may read rather like a greatest hits anthology of previous years. But who are we kidding? You didn't just click on my lovingly crafted links above, and you certainly can't be blamed for not remembering previous years' lists of mostly harmless things I like. So it'll all seem brand-new to you, so never mind. Let's proceed.

This year, I am especially thankful for, in no particular order...

1. That Thankfulness Thing. There. Another link to last year's post, which has links to all the previous ones. You're welcome. Anyway, I'm all about lists, so I actually do enjoy this goofy little exercise, once a year. That's gratitude for you!

That's right - After decades of fighting (against it), I now have "accountant" in my title. (gag)

2. My "promotion." Better late than never, as they say. I don't like losing the word "senior" and adding "accountant" to my title, mostly because I am NOT an accountant, but what can you do? Now, to update that résumé...

3. My siblings' retina woes. Not happy that they have experienced retina woes, mind you, BUT - had they not already been through some pretty icky and scary retina woes (I'm starting to think The Retina Woes would be a killer name for a band - or maybe an Ophthalmology practice), and had they not shared with me the signs and symptoms and whatnot, I might have just blown it off when said signs and symptoms and especially whatnot appeared in my very own eyeball. So, thanks sibs - you may have spared me a MUCH nastier bunch of medical tribulations. At least for now... Younger bro - you are SO on the clock, right now...


"We were supposed to be synchronized!" Photo by Joe

4. Pelicans. They'll outlive us all, and deservedly so. 

5. I'm actually quite thankful to have grown up in the time before the internet and social media - and mostly before even cell phones. Now, I know that every generation grows up with whatever it grows up with; none of us get to choose the age in which we're raised (I'm working on it, though - perhaps in a future novel) - and each generation has its blessings and challenges. With the benefit of a bit of hindsight, I'm just glad I didn't have all that connectivity, back when I was young. I wasn't exactly a wild kid, or even a cool kid, but I guarantee you, I would have found myriad ways to screw up, had a smart phone been in my pocket during my adolescence. Millennials, and Gen Z, my hat is off to you for getting through that noise.

6. Riddance. I've used this one before, referring somewhat prematurely to the departure of our so-called ex-"president" (I only say "so-called" because he received millions fewer votes in both elections), but this time I'm thankful for a little sports riddance. I won't waste a lot of words on this. dan snyder, good riddance. 

7. Glue. Specifically, whatever glue [Maris]'s brother in law used to re-affix this guy's severed head. Where there was trauma... 

I'm (we're) not QUITE dead...

...now there is whimsical Halloween healing...

I'm (we're) getting better...

8. Brian Regan. Comedian and nice guy (I assume. Seems nice, anyway. Mormon, I think.) Google him or find him on your favorite streaming platform. He is seriously funny. His material has taken root in [M]'s and my daily vernacular. And his material is clean and non-sexist and weird and fun and just do yourself a favor and check him out. You'll be thankful that you did.

"Long about noon, when your appetite's... pokin' at ya, pokin' at ya."

9. Bite-size Snickers. This one's for [Maris], but yeah - they're pretty close to perfect. Unless you don't like them. Then never mind.

10. The Last Spider. One of our Halloween (over)decorating traditions is that I scatter a bunch of these little fuzzy googly-eyed spiders throughout the house. I do this after [Maris] has gone to sleep. Most of them are in plain sight...

Hey.

Duuuuuude, I am SO high, right now...

But some are placed such that they're technically not hidden, but are still trying very hard not to be seen. Every year, sometimes weeks or months after we've taken down the Halloween stuff, we find The Last Spider. The Last Spider is congratulated heartily by all the other spiders, from inside their box, and there is much chortling. 

All hail The Last-- Hey! Get that camera out of here!

There. You made it through the first ten thanky things for 2023, and for that, I salute and thank you. See you tomorrow for some more Mostly Harmless Drivel. Please come see us again...

No comments:

Post a Comment